Horticulture Volunteer Coordinator
Company: Idaho Botanical Garden
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Title: Horticulture Volunteer Coordinator
Reports to: Horticulture Director
Salary: $16-$22/hour The Horticulture Volunteer Coordinator manages
the horticulture volunteer program. -The Horticulture Volunteer
Coordinator and the volunteers assist with the maintenance in the
- Directly manages and recruits horticulture volunteers. Develops
and cultivates a diverse group of volunteers.
- Schedule and supervise volunteers for routine maintenance and
special projects. -Manage and coordinate volunteer hours and
schedules to effectively assist with the general maintenance of the
- Coordinate horticultural work with Horticulture Manager.
- Maintain Garden to the highest horticulture standards. Follow
proper techniques of soil preparation, plant installation, and
- Operate all equipment and tools safely and properly. Provide
equipment and instruction to volunteers.
- Keep records of volunteer hours for the Volunteer Manager.
-Ensure that volunteer check-in-procedures are followed and records
of volunteer hours are maintained according to established
- Coordinate and direct programs to enhance the volunteer
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the horticulture
volunteer program which reflect the mission of the
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the
program and organization, and develop and implement effective
strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for
volunteers and write the volunteer position description in
consultation with staff as appropriate.
- Orient the volunteers to increase their understanding of the
organization, its clients, its service and the role and
responsibilities of volunteers, and ensure that volunteers receive
the appropriate level of supervision.
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition
activities to recognize the contribution of volunteer to the
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive
environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and
- Assist with volunteer organization for Winter Garden a
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Specifications, & Experience
- Associate or Bachelor degree in Horticulture or related field
- Proficiency of word processing and data base management, strong
understanding of Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships: establishing and
maintaining positive working relationships with others, both
internally and externally to achieve the goals of the
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively: speaking,
listening, and writing in a clear, thorough and timely manner using
appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork: working cooperatively
and effectively with others to enhance organizations
- Demonstrated ability to lead: positively influencing others to
achieve results that are in the best interest of the
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems: assess problem
situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant
information, generate possible solutions, and made recommendations
and /or resolve the problem.
- Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities;
seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and
calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities;
asks for and offers help when needed.
- Ability to carry up to 50lbs.
- Ability to work in various weather conditions such as cold,
snow, or rain. - - RequirementsExperience managing staff or
volunteers.At least two years of experience in all aspects of
routine garden maintenance working with a professional gardening,
horticulture, landscaping, or nursery organization.Non-Profit
Experience preferredMust be able to responsibly use power tools and
equipment such as string trimmers, mowers, blowers, and sprayers.
-A valid Idaho driver's license and good driving record. -Ability
to use computers for basic tasks such as email correspondence,
calendar scheduling, and Microsoft Suite. -Clearance of a
background check.Ability to occasionally work weekends.
- -To ApplyPlease submit resume and cover letter to
Anti-Racism Statement -The Idaho Botanical Garden acknowledges the
harm and injustice committed against Black, Indigenous, and People
of Color (BIPOC) communities including colonization, slavery,
segregation, denial of proper resources, mass incarceration, police
brutality, and economic and voter suppression--systems that have
been perpetuated for hundreds of years. -We wish to honor
Indigenous community's native to this region including the Paiute,
Shoshone, and Bannock tribes. We express gratitude and appreciation
to the traditional stewards of the land and to those who have been
living and working in this valley from time immemorial. -We must
continue to strategize and support one another, both within our
organization and our greater community, to make space for diverse
voices to express themselves fully and to cultivate a culture that
embodies the means of a collective. We stand firm in our ability to
name and eliminate racist behavior and to provide proper training
to our Board and Staff in an effort to uphold this commitment. -We
will continue to ask hard questions, share our stories, and think
critically to ensure the longevity of a movement toward equity and
inclusion. We strive to create an environment where welcome,
wellness, safety, and success are possible for all who visit this
space and to carry these efforts beyond our garden walls.
Keywords: Idaho Botanical Garden, Boise , Horticulture Volunteer Coordinator, Other , Boise, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!